Pages

Monday 4 November 2019

Looking at onion cells through a microscope (experiment

Aim: (On a slide are we able to see a clear picture of onion cells through a microscope)

Hypothesis: I think we will be able to see a clear picture of the onion cell at a magnification of 10x

Equipment: 
  • 1 onion
  • 1 Slide
  • 1 Cover Slip
  • Tweezers
  • Blue Stain


Method: The first thing we had to do was get our slide. We then had to peel off a thin layer of onion skin. Then we carefully placed the thin layer of onion skin on the slide and made it flat so there were no lumps. Just to make sure we put 1 drop of saline on top of the thin layer of onion. So that we could see the onion cells on the slide through the microscope we put 1 drop of blue dye on the saline so it would be easier for us to see the onion cells

Observation/Conclusion: After adjusting the microscope so we can see the onion cells clearly. We finally got to see what onion cells look like. From what I could see they were very detailed like lots lines connected to each other in some way, in between the lines were dark purple dots but I think the funny looking dots were just the purple dye that we had applied on top of the saline or it was part of the onion cell but the dye had covered it
Image result for Onion Cells
Task Description- Today we got to do a little experiment. But before attempting the actual experiment, Mrs Stone told us to create a new document so we can write down our Aim on what were gonna attempt or see if what we're gonna do is gonna work. I also had to write down my hypothesis and equipment to make this experiment work. After attempting the experiment as you can see I wrote the method so you know how I made this experiment work. Lastly I wrote my observation or conclusion to show you what my results were overall.

- Pic of onion cells.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Paikea,
    You have done an excellent job of writing down your experimental method, giving the equipment you used, the protocol (the word a scientist would use instead of recipe) and your observations/conclusions. Well done. Did you see anything like the picture on your blog? Even sometimes when experiments don't work as expected (a very frequent thing to happen in science) you can still learn a lot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. Hi Dr Thierry,

      Yes the onion cell that I saw looked very similar to the picture on my blog and I think the experiment was a success.

      Delete