Pages

Monday 8 June 2020

Improving Your Gratitude!

- Taonga, My Gratitude Box

What kind of impact can gratitude affect on your life? In Health I have learnt that gratitude can mean a lot of things or can help you in lots of different ways as a person in life. I have also learnt that you have to practice gratitude and to practice gratitude you can do these three things, exercise, emote and extend.

My way of Exercising gratitude is, spending 10 minutes before I go to bed and write at least one thing I am grateful for on a piece of paper and put it in my Gratitude box. I will spend at least 5 minutes thinking about one meaningful thing that I am really grateful for to have in my life. It can be an environment, a person or even an object it just has to be something you are truly grateful for and why.

Emote, this means you need to feel what you are grateful for. When I want to feel what I am grateful for I like to make sure I am in a quiet place like my room away from any distractions like electronics and people. I like to take this time to wind down my brain from being on my phone to think about what I am grateful for before I go to bed. Sitting in a quiet place away from any distractions can help you think about how you feel about what you are grateful for.

The last thing you can do to practice gratitude is extend. If I was to write that I am grateful for my parents in order to extend I would do something that shows how I am grateful for them. For example I will clean the house for my Mum and Dad before they get home and because when my dad gets home from work he is always cleaning and I know my Mum likes the house nice and clean. I think this will show how appreciative I am because of my parents' hard work that they do. So doing something positive for someone you are grateful for can show how appreciative you are of them. If you are grateful for a park down the road from where you live, maybe you would like to pick up any rubbish in the area that you're grateful to have.

What are some benefits of gratitude on well-being? Gratitude can improve your social well-being because it helps you understand how lucky you are to have the people, people and objects that are important to you in your life. So you would always want to give them the utmost respect and love towards them because some things might not be possible without them. Gratitude also improves things like physical health, psychological health, self-esteem and can increase mental strength. Gratitude can also open the door to more relationships and some people benefit from better sleep, but overall gratitude can really improve your well-being.



1 comment:

  1. Kia ora Paikea,

    It was really interesting to read your post about gratitude. I think you have outlined the three areas you are using for making gratitude something that isn't just thinking but actually doing. I use a gratitude journal at times but I feel inspired by the idea to extend what I do with that gratitude journal.

    Have your parents appreciated the extra things you are doing because of this?

    Thank you for sharing,
    :) Sharon - Te Ara Tūhura Education Programme Leader, Ōtautahi

    ReplyDelete